Greetings! I’m Anders. I do web development and think about data protection.
Things I’m doing at the moment
I co-founded Dataskydd.net with Amelia Andersdotter. It’s a Swedish NGO working to promote data protection and privacy. Some ongoing projects I’m in charge of:
- Webbkoll: An online tool to analyze websites with regards to certain privacy-related aspects. Mainly written in Elixir. (GitHub)
- Municipality privacy: Analysis of the websites of Sweden’s 290 municipalities. (GitHub)
- stoppaspionerna.eu: Swedish campaign against data retention.
I also do all the technical stuff for Världsbiblioteket, a small library in Stockholm, Sweden focused on non-Western literature.
- Koha: We were one of the first libraries in Sweden to switch to the free and open source library system Koha. I’m a member of the Swedish Koha User Group’s steering committee.
- Världslitteratur.se, a Swedish website about non-Western literature.
- Globalarkivet: Open archive with CC-licensed full-text articles related to global development issues.
I spent 2005–2006 studying photography at Kulturama in Stockholm, ran a darkroom with some friends for several years, and exhibited a couple of times. But I never got around to setting up a proper website for my pictures.
I’ve posted photos irregularly to minorshadows.net since 2008; it’s my personal photo journal, of sorts.
For a while I took a whole lot of photos at gigs, and from 2005 I uploaded some of them to Wikimedia Commons, setting them free. Many of them have been in active use on Wikipedia for 10+ years now, and some of them (e.g., Andrew Bird, Sonic Youth, Arcade Fire) I still like.
Notes & articles
- How to IRC like it’s 2017
- Interview with Dennis Ritchie (2003)
- Screenshots from developers & Unix people (2002)
- Screenshots from developers & Unix people: 2002 vs. 2015
- Tangentbord – en djupdykning ner i tangentbordens värld (2008, Swedish)
- Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2 (2010)
- Standalone power management in Linux (2012)
- Guide to programmatic node creation in Drupal 7 (2011)
- Updating nodes programmatically in Drupal 7 (2011)
- OpenBSD 4.8 on a ThinkPad X61s (2010)
- Privatliv och webben – att göra vad som krävs, Internetdagarna, Stockholm, Sweden, 2016-11-22.
- Privacy and the Web – are you doing what it takes?, NightlyBuild 2016, Cologne, Germany, 2016-09-02. With Amelia Andersdotter.
- Privacy and the Web – to boldly go where no one has gone before…, IFIP Summer School 2016, Karlstad, Sweden, 2016-08-22. With Amelia Andersdotter.
- Privacy and the Web – are you doing what it takes?, WordCamp Europe, Vienna, Austria, 2016-06-25. With Amelia Andersdotter.
- Privatliv och webben – att göra vad som krävs, Fripost, Gothenburg, Sweden, 2016-06-11. With Amelia Andersdotter.
- Unsafe Harbors: Data Protection Strikes Back, WordCamp Nuremberg, Germany, 2016-04-16. With Amelia Andersdotter.
- Unsafe Harbors: Data Protection Strikes Back, WordCamp Norway, Oslo, Norway, 2016-02-20. With Amelia Andersdotter.
- Data protection for websites made simple, FSCONS 2015, Gothenburg, Sweden, 2015-11-08. With Amelia Andersdotter.
- Data protection in web development made easy, DrupalCamp Baltics, Tallinn, Estonia, 2015-08-28. With Amelia Andersdotter.
- Dataskydd och rätten till självbestämmande, Stockholm Anarchist Book Fair, Stockholm, Sweden, 2015-08-22. With Amelia Andersdotter.
- Building Privacy-Friendly Websites, WordCamp Europe, Seville, Spain, 2015-06-27. With Amelia Andersdotter.
- Andersdotter, A., Jensen-Urstad, A., 2016. Evaluating Websites and Their Adherence to Data Protection Principles: Tools and Experiences. In Privacy and Identity Management. Facing up to Next Steps: 11th IFIP International Summer School, Revised Selected Papers, pp. 39-51. Springer International Publishing. Final publication.
Circa 1999–2006 I ran a succession of news/article/forum websites: LinuxQuake.se, LinuxSweden.nu and UNIXSweden.net, which finally became Unix.se, which became a wiki in its final form. There’s a static copy from 2006.
2000–2010 I was system administrator for FragZone, later just FZ.se, Sweden’s oldest and biggest gaming site (still alive and kicking after 20 years). I was also contributing editor during a few periods.
During my time as a professional pirate in the European Parliament I was head organizer of European Internet Governance and Beyond on March 20–21 2014, a conference held inside the parliament in Brussels, where I had the great fortune of being able to invite a ton of incredible people; check out the videos.